|Variety type||open-pollinated, heirloom|
- indet., regular leaf plants produce lots of red round uniform and blemish free fruits, 4-8 oz. Fruits are juicy, with excellent balanced flavor, with just a hint of sweetness.
- 1. Martin Longseth of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin (WI LO M) 04
- 2. Willa Osis, BC, Canada 11 / Val McMurray, Wynndel, BC, Canada 09 (B.C MC D)
Year grown: 2011 (crop failure), 2013
- 70-80 days, det., regular leaf, 4-8 oz red fruit, vigorous 30" plants. Good flavour, no splits or BER, 9 lbs/plant.
Year grown: 2006
Location: Wynndel, BC, Canada
- John Baer selected this tomato from a field of Bonny Best in 1914.
- Description from 1915 Isbell and Co. Seed Catalog says:
- "This new tomato was introduced last year as the earliest tomato ever grown. In our trials we found it no earlier than our Earlibell, and in no way superior. We doubt if it is equal to it. We have heard good reports from it, however, and decided the last minute to offer it.
- The color is a deep, glossy red. Size and shape similar to Earliana, but fewer seed. The following is the introducer's description:
- "The earliest tomato ever offered, producing large, beautiful, solid shipping and market fruit in 30 days from plants grown in boxes or pots, with roots undisturbed. Fruit weighing about 6 1/2 ounces. 'John Baer', a market gardener, who has made money at the business, saved every ounce of his seed from selected fruit. In shape it is rather round than flat. Bright red, beautiful color, almost without seeds/ 'John Baer' would not part with any of this seed, except for an enormous price."
- We offer seed grown from stock seed obtained of the introducer."
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer (Willa O.) - baby fruit. 2013-07-16.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer - baby fruit. 2011-07-09.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer (Willa O.) - green fruit. 2013-07-16.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer (WI LO M) - ripe fruit. 2013-09-03.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer (WIlla O. ) - ripe fruit. 2013-09-08.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer (WI LO M) - sliced fruit. 2013-09-03.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). John Baer (WIlla O. ) - sliced fruit. 2013-09-08.
Dan and Val McMurray (B.C MC D). John Baer. 2006.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2014||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new
Seed Savers Exchange
|2013|| Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds
J.W. Jung Seed Company
Seed Savers Exchange
|2012||Seed Savers Exchange||6||2|
|2011||Seed Savers Exchange||1||1|
|2010||Seed Savers Exchange||3||.|
|2009||Seed Savers Exchange
Totally Tomatoes - new
|2008||Seed Savers Exchange - new||2||.|
You can buy John Baer seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Description||indet., regular leaf plants produce lots of red round uniform and blemish free fruits, 4-8 oz. Fruits are juicy, with excellent balanced flavor, with just a hint of sweetness.|
|Fruit color||red +|
|Fruit shape||globe +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|History||*John Baer selected this tomato from a fie … *John Baer selected this tomato from a field of Bonny Best in 1914.
|Member code||B.C KO T + and B.C MC D +|
|Related||Wisconsin 55 +|
|Seed source||1. Martin Longseth of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin (WI LO M) 04
|Variety type||open-pollinated + and heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, Totally Tomatoes +, Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds + and J.W. Jung Seed Company +|
|Year grown||2011 (crop failure) + and 2013 +|