- indet., potato leaf plants with high yield of small round fruit with some green shoulders. F3 plants were still segregating - 5 produced purple/black fruits with marbling, and 1 plant produced pink fruit. The pink fruited version was far more superior in both the taste and texture, but it was later than the purple/black fruited variants. I am continuing the pink line and discarding the purple fruited. See Naiad.
- F2 generation (2008): The earliest of all the plants, potato leaf, small-medium round oblate firm fruit with the color of Black Cherry but larger in size, 1-2 oz, 1.8 oz average weight, green gel in the seed cavities. Excellent flavor throughout the season. First few fruits were seedless (likely set in cooler spring weather). No cracking, even in heavy rainfall.
- F3 generation (2009): The earliest to ripen among Despina and Psamathe, but the texture of the first dozen of fruits was quite disappointing, mealy and mushy, with large green shoulders that were not edible. Later fruits somewhat improved, but not enough in my opinion. This line seemed to inherit the marbling of the Black Cherry, but it was accentuated too much, and is probably responsible for the bad texture. The taste however was not bad, quite sharp, with tangy gel, certainly better than in F2 generation.
- One of the plants produced pink small round fruits with very good flavor - see Naiad
- B.C KO T 09 / Barbara Morgenroth, NY 08
Year grown: 2009
- One of segregation lines of Purple Haze F2, selected by Tatiana Kouchnareva of BC, Canada (B.C KO T) in 2008 for earliest black/purple fruit.
- Stabilization efforts to be continued in 2009.
- Named after Galatea, a moon of Neptune.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Galatea, PL (F3 generation) - leaf. 2009-06-21.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Galatea, PL (F3 generation) - flowers. 2009-06-06.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Galatea, PL (F3 generation) - flowers. 2009-06-13.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Galatea, PL (F3 generation) - first (fused) baby fruit. 2009-06-13.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Galatea (F2 generation) - ripe fruit. 2008-08-19.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Galatea, PL (F3 generation, E1 plant) - ripe fruit. 2009-08-02.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|