- 47 days, indet., regular leaf plant, 7' high, loads of large dusky purple black cherry fruits, sweet, excellent flavor.
- Seed Source
- 1. Reimer Seeds
- 2. Denise Salmon, Vancouver, BC, Canada 03
- 3. Johnny's Selected Seeds 12
- 4. Tomato Growers Supply 04
|2005, 2006, 2009, 2011(3)}}
- 75 days, indet., regular leaf plant with a high yield of 1 oz purple-black fruit, excellent flavor.
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- black tomato, cherry type, regular leaf, indet., long continuing harvest until frost, my favourite in 2005.
- Reimer Seeds / Klaus-Peter Schurz of Lohsa, Germany (GERM SC K) 06 / M. Hahm-Hartmann
Year: 2005, 2006, 2015 (plant from different source)
Location: Quitzdorf am See, Germany
- One of the tastiest cherry tomatoes of the 2005 season. Our customers at the farmer’s market seem to agree. The dark purple cherry tomatoes are born in large clusters on very vigorous plants. Very sweet and delicious fruit is great for eating out of hand or summer salads. Excellent paired with red and yellow cherry tomatoes. Indeterminate, regular leaf foliage. (70 days from transplant).
Location: Carman, Manitoba, Canada
- Large vines need caging or staking, 66 days, very good production of 1-inch diameter dusky purplish cherry fruits with an excellent sweet tangy flavor.
- Reimer Seeds / NC LE C (Craig LeHoullier, Raleigh, North Carolina)
Year: 2004, 2005
Location: Augusta, Michigan
- 82 days in zone 3b/4a. Very vigorous. I stopped letting it grow any higher at 5 1/2 feet. The bush was full of clusters with 10-14 mahogany 1" tomatoes. A few were a little smaller than an inch in diameter. The fruit was sweet but not as sweet as Isis Candy.
Location: Iron River, Michigan
- 80 days from transplant; planted both in garden (eaten by varmint) and in pot on deck with approximately 5 hours sun per day. Despite low sun, sprawling plant with prolific production of 4 pounds of 0.5 oz black cherry tomatoes . Outstanding flavor. My favorite.
Location: Stanford, CA
- Indeterminate, regular leaf, large plant produces lots of 1-2" purple-brown cherries. Great taste that reminds me of larger beefsteak types. Mid season, 75 days.
- Reimer Seeds / Baker Creek, 09
Year: 2010, 2011 Location: LaFollette, Tennessee, USA
- 70 days, indet., vigorous regular leaf plants with a high yield of purple-black cherries, superb flavor, one of my favorite cherry types.
Location: Bastrop, Texas
- indet., black cherry tomato, very good flavor, sweet. Good yield but it was disease-prone for me.
- Reimer Seeds
Location: Nancy, France
- The ubiquitous black cherry is hard to not grow every year. It’s covered with fruit, sweet, and fairly unfussy.
Location: Southold, NY
- Developed by the late Vince Sapp, husband of Linda Sapp, who owns Tomato Growers Supply , from a natural cross. Released in 2003. The exact parentage of Black Cherry has not been shared.
- Two commercial sources were noted for 2004 in the Garden Seed Inventory 6th edition but this variety has rapidly gained renown in the past few years and is much more widely available now.
Related (crosses, derived)
Julien Schmit, France. Black Cherry - ripe fruit. 2008.
Dennis Margoni, MI. Black Cherry - ripe fruit. 2010.
Taryn Koerker, WA (WA KO T): Black Cherry - ripe fruit. 2012. (Posted with owner's permission.)
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black cherry - ripe fruit. 2009-07-19.
Jeff Fleming (MI FL J). Black Cherry - ripe fruit and foliage. 2005.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Black Cherry - ripe fruit.
Ted Maiden (TN MA T): Black Cherry - Seedling. 2009.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black cherry. April 2006.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black cherry - plant. July 2006.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Black Cherry - flowers.
You can buy Black Cherry seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!