Tatiana's TOMATObase - Heritage Tomatoes
- Buy Seeds from Tatiana's
- Some Popular Shortcuts
- Contact us
- Other Resources
- Tomato Books
- Recommended Tomato Forums
- Our goal is to grow and maintain seeds for thousands of open-pollinated vegetable varieties, provide accurate variety descriptions, research and share historical information, and make seeds available to general public.
Who We Are and What We Do
- We are one of the largest privately owned and privately funded seed banks in North America. Certainly the largest one in Canada! We maintain over 4,000 varieties of open-pollinated, non-GMO, vegetables.
- We are very unique in our mission, as we focus on collecting and sharing not only the seeds along with fruits and plants characteristics, but also historical information about our varieties. Historical information is a very important part of seed preservation, and we are so happy to see many small seed vendors following the trend!
- We welcome gardeners from all over the world to make contributions to the mission by sharing their growout notes and photographs at Tatiana's TOMATObase website.
- Please refer to Community Portal for more details.
- We continue to collect and preserve endangered open-pollinated vegetable varieties and make them available to home gardeners. The proceeds from seed sales and donations help offsetting the cost of seed production and storage, and are our only source of funding at this time.
- Please buy seeds from Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Store to support our mission.
Thank you so much for visiting!
Tatiana Kouchnareva, Anmore, Canada
- Warning: for users with dial-up connection, it may take a while to load up the first page. If you experience slow response time, you can still order seeds via the old system: Old order system (recommended for dial-up users).
Tatiana's TOMATObase Facebook Page
- Please visit Tatiana's TOMATObase Facebook page to 'like' us and subscribe to our updates on Facebook. You are so welcome to post your comments or questions!
- There are 4,785 tomato varieties listed.
- 64 new tomato articles have been added since January 1, 2014.
- New and updated reports:
Our Presentations and Workshops
- May 29, 2013, PoCo Heritage Society. 'Growing Tomatoes in Containers'.
- May 13, 2013, Anmore Garden Club. 'Growing vegetables in Anmore'.
- April 17, 2013, Maple Ridge Garden Club - Tatiana's presentation 'Growing Tomatoes in Vancouver: From Seed To Seed.' Click here to DOWNLOAD the presentation.
- Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed back and Wonderful World of Tomatoes presentation at Evergreen Gardening Club in Ladner. March 19, 7:30 pm.
- Tomato Seeds presentation at Coquitlam Poirier Library Nancy Bennett Room on March 9, 2013, 1-2:30 pm.
- March 16, 2013 11:30 am - Tatiana's presentation 'Tatiana's TOMATObase and The Wonderful Tomato World' at Edenvale Retreat Centre, 4330 Bradner Rd, Abbotsford, BC.Click here to DOWNLOAD the presentation.
- Growing Tomatoes in Vancouver: From Seed To Seed. Tatiana's presentation at Ladner Seedy Saturday on February 9, 2013. Click here to DOWNLOAD the presentation.
- Garden Tours & Gardening Workshops: Sundays (June 3rd & June 10th, 2012)
- Gardening for Beginners lecture at Avisio Naturopathic Clinic's Health Fair on May 26, 2012.
- Growing Tomatoes in Containers - Tatiana's presentation at Seedy Saturday on January 28, 2012 (Ladner Baptist Church).
2014 Seedy Saturdays
- We attend the following Seedy Saturday events in BC:
- March 29, 2014 - 10am-2pm - Seedy Saturday in Mission, BC.
- March 1, 2014 10am-1pm - Seedy Saturday in Richmond, BC
- February 22, 2014 10am-4pm - Seedy Saturday at Vandusen Botanical Gardens, Vancouver, BC.
- February 15, 2014 10am-3pm - Seedy Saturday in Ladner (Ladner Baptist Church).
2013 Seedy Saturdays
- We attended the Seedy Saturday events in BC:
- March 23, 2013 - 10am-2pm - Seedy Saturday at Heritage Park Secondary School Lobby, 33700 Prentis Avenue, Mission, BC.
- March 16, 2013 10am-1pm - Abbotsford’s second Annual Spring Seed Swap Edenvale Retreat Centre, located at 4330 Bradner Rd, Abbotsford, BC. Tatiana's presentation at 11:30 am.
- March 9, 2013 1-3:30pm - Seedy Saturday in Coquitlam, BC (Poirier Library, Nancy Bennett Room). Tatiana's presentation 'Our Tomato Seed Collection and Seed Bank' at 1:15 pm.
- March 2, 2013 10am-2pm - Seedy Saturday in Richmond, BC
- February 23, 2013 10am-4pm - Seedy Saturday at Vandusen Botanical Gardens, Vancouver, BC.
- February 9, 2013 10am-3pm - Seedy Saturday in Ladner (Ladner Baptist Church). Tatiana's presentation 'Growing Tomatoes in Vancouver - from Seed to Table' at 10 am.
Articles and Forum Threads About Us
- Tomatoville Thread on Tatiana's TOMATObase.
- Tomatoville Thread about Most informative tomato websites.
- Tatiana's Tomato Base on Comox Valley Growers and Seed Savers website (Nov 23, 2012).
- Gardener promotes heritage seeds by Todd Coyne, Tri-City News (July 12, 2011)
- Saving the seeds of tomorrow. Heirloom gardener preserves thousands of varieties of tomatoes in Anmore garden. by Jennifer McFee, 'The Now' newspaper (August 18, 2011).
You can buy Tatiana's TOMATObase - Heritage Tomatoes seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
TOMATObase reports and queries
- Click here to view the Tomato Variety List in alphabetical order
- Click here to view the list of Early Tomatoes
- Click here to view tomatoes by the country of origin
- Click here to view the list of tomatoes suitable for containers
- Click here to View the list of all Dwarf tomato varieties
- Click here to view tomatoes by categories (i.e., growth habit, origin, fruit size, leaf type, etc.)
- Click here to view the list of the 100 heirloom tomatoes, described in the Carolyn J. Male's book "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden".
- Click here to view the list of heirloom tomatoes, described in the Amy Goldman's book that was released on August 5, 2008: The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table.
- Click here to view the list of tomatoes, described in the "The Great Tomato Book" by Gary Ibsen.
- Click here to view Brad Gates' tomato varieties.
- Click here to view Tom Wagner's tomato and potato varieties.
- Thechileman.org Chili pepper database.
- Seed Savers Exchange Online Yearbook lists thousands of vegetable varieties offered by SSE listing members.
- Online Seed Exchange - SSE blog about online Yearbook.
- Canadian Seed Catalogue Inventory - lists Canadian seed vendors and varieties they offer.
- Tomato database at Rutgers University: descriptions and pictures of tomatoes grown at Rutgers NJAES research farms.
- Reinhard Kraft: 1000+ tomato varieties maintained by Reinhard Kraft (picture captions and descriptions in German)
- Vent Marin. 12 000+ variétés ou appellations locales ou commerciales classées par ordre alphabétique.
- TolleTomaten German website that features tomato varieties search engine.
- Tomodori: a French website dedicated to all aspects of growing and cooking heirloom tomatoes. Features a search engine you can use to search for tomato varieties. You do not need to know French to browse Tomodori Photo Gallery!
- Semences-partage website. New searchable Tomato encyclopedia, launched in 2009. In French.
- Encyclopédie de Semeurs. French wiki website that describes many edible crops, including tomatoes, as well as facilitates free seed exchanges between members. Launched in July 2009.
- Dwarf Tomato Project website run by Patrina Nuske Small, Ray South, and Craig LeHoullier.
- Craig LeHoullier's website: Craig has a very informative Tomato Information page, with pictures, origin information, and much more!
- Keith Mueller's On-line Tomato Vine website - Keith Mueller is a tomato breeder, who developed several excellent open-pollinated and hybrid varieties, such as Purple Haze F1, Dora, Gary'O Sena, and others.
- Tomato Anatomy Atlas - This is a very good educational site that helps gardeners to get familiar with proper terminology when talking about various parts of tomato plant anatomy.
- Tomaten-Atlas - a German website with tomato pictures and descriptions in German.
- Tomaten Garten - a website of Klaus-Peter Schurz of Germany, who contributed lots of his beautiful tomato pictures for Tatiana's TOMATObase.
- Website of Ake Truedson, Sweden.
- Frogleap Farm - a tomato breeding blog.
- FruitLent - a hobby website featuring tomatoes, peppers, melons, and eggplants, by Marcel Joosten, The Netherlands.
- Tomato Dirt website has a lot of very good basic information about starting and saving seeds, transplanting, staking, pruning, mulching, fertilizing, and watering tomatoes.
- Tomato pictures of Aleksey Kulik, Ukraine.
- Carolyn J. Male's book "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden" (Workman Publishing, NY, 1999) provides excellent descriptions of a selection of wonderfully tasty varieties.
- Click here to view the list of tomatoes, described in the "The Great Tomato Book" by Gary Ibsen.
- Amy Goldman's new Tomato book that was released on August 5, 2008: The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table: Recipes, Portraits, and History of the World's Most Beautiful Fruit.
- Grow Tomatoes At Home by Annette Welsford & Lucia Grimmer.
- Tomatoville: 'All about Tomatoes' online forum for discussing tomato growing, seed sources and vendors, new and old tomato varieties, and the Dwarf Tomato Project. The largest tomato forum in North America with over 10,000 members.
- Growing Tomatoes forum on Garden Web
- Tomato Discussion Forum at Dave's Garden. This forum is available only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden.
- The Helpful Gardener. A tomato forum founded by Scott Reil, a Master Gardener instructor who has been a gardening professional in the nursery business for over two decades.
- The Tomato Garden - a new tomato discussion forum opened in 2010.
- Not Just Tomatoes A new forum opened by Richard Parker in 2011.