West Virginia 63
|West Virginia 63|
|Fruit shape||round, oblate|
|Variety type||open-pollinated, commercial heirloom|
- indet., regular leaf, bright red medium sized oblate fruit with slightly irregular shape. 4-11 oz. Excellent rich tomato flavor with some sweetness. Juicy.
- 1. Doug Zuknick, West Virginia 07
- 2. Martin Longseth of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin (WI LO M) 07
- 3. Clayton Weaver, Washington 12
Year grown: 2011(1 - crop failure), 2015(2)
- 75 days, indet., regular leaf, red fruit, 8-12 oz, productive.
- from University Greenhouse
Year grown: 2007
Location: Pasadena, Texas
- SSE TOMATO 498.
- Developed at West Virginia University Agric. Exp. Station in the 1950s for disease resistance to Fusarium and Verticillium wilts as well as Early and late Blight.
- PI 645201. Donated to USDA in 1964 from West Virginia, USA.
- Parentage: Marglobe, Wisconsin 55, and PI 204976, as well as Rutgers, Southland, Urbana, and Campbell's 1491-E11
- USDA narrative:
- "Resistance to late blight, verticillium & fusarium wilt, vines are indeterminate, vigorous, fruits are medium to large, meaty, oblate to globe in shape, smooth, resist cracking. Gallegly, M.E. 1964. "West Virginia '63, A new home-garden tomato resistant to late blight." Science Serves Your Farm, West Va. Univ. AES Bul. 490, p.3,6,15-16."
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). West Virginia 63 - seedling. 2011-03-15.
Ted Maiden (TN MA T): West Virginia 63 - green fruit. 2009-06-15.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). West Virginia 63 - ripe fruit. 2015-08-13.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). West Virginia 63 - sliced fruit. 2015-08-13.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2014||Southern Exposure Seed Exchange||.||.|
|2013|| Delectation of Tomatoes - new
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange - new
|2011||Southern Exposure Seed Exchange||2||0|
|2010||Southern Exposure Seed Exchange||1||.|
You can buy West Virginia 63 seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Description||indet., regular leaf, bright red medium sized oblate fruit with slightly irregular shape. 4-11 oz. Excellent rich tomato flavor with some sweetness. Juicy.|
|Fruit color||red +|
|Fruit shape||round + and oblate +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|History||* SSE TOMATO 498.
|Member code||B.C KO T + and TX GU R +|
|Seed source||1. Doug Zuknick, West Virginia 07
|Variety type||open-pollinated + and commercial heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds + and Delectation of Tomatoes +|
|Year grown||2011(1 - crop failure) + and 2015(2) +|