Kangaroo Paw Brown
|Kangaroo Paw Brown|
|Growth habit||dwarf, indet.|
|Leaf type||regular, rugose|
|Fruit color||brown, black|
|Variety type||created heirloom, stabilized intentional cross|
- ***NEW 2015 Release from Tomato Dwarf Project***. OSSI-Pledged variety. Indet. vigorous dwarf (tree-type) plants with regular leaf rugose foliage. Produces loads of smooth round brown (yellow skinned black) fruit that are in the 4 ounce range. The flavor is delightful - well balanced, and very tasty. Super productive. (15 seeds / packet)
- Craig LeHoullier of Raleigh, North Carolina (NC LE C) 16 / Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin (WI MI B) 16
Year grown: 2015*, 2017
- Developed in the 2005-2015 by the members of the Dwarf Tomato Project from a cross between Budai Torpe and Cherokee Green made by Patrina Nuske Small in 2005 and named Witty. It was selected and named collaboratively by Patrina, Tim Warren and Craig LeHoullier (Patrina with the Kangaroo Paw, and Tim and Craig as different colors arose). Stabilization was a collaborative work of Patrina Nuske Small, Tim Warren, Craig LeHoullier, Jay Scott, Kevin Taylor, Bob Fromm, Dee Sackett, Howard Kushner, Carol Knapp, and Doug Frank, and Bill Minkey.
- Released in 2015 (F10 generation).
- This variety is now associated with the Open Source Seed Initiative (OSSI)
- The OSSI Pledge - " You have the freedom to use these OSSI seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents, or other means, and to include this pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives." The seed packets that you share or sell should include this information.
- More information about the development of this cultivar can be found on the Dwarf Tomato Project website.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Kangaroo Paw Brown - sliced fruit. 2017-09-10.
- Kangaroo Paw Brown 2016-10-17 (3).JPG
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Kangaroo Paw Brown - sliced fruit. 2016-10-17.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2017||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds||.||.|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new
Heritage Tomato Seed - new
The Sample Seed Shop - new
Victory Seed Company - new
You can buy Kangaroo Paw Brown seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!