From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
|Fruit shape||conical, long|
|Heat level||extremely hot|
|Scoville Heat Units (SHU)||400,000-500,000|
|Variety type||open-pollinated, stabilized intentional cross|
- Dark chocolate-brown pods that are shaped like Scorpion pepper. Extremely hot, and very flavorful, with wonderful aroma. A bit larger than Chocolate Habanero pepper that we grew side-by-side. (8 seeds / packet)
- Alex Popovich, British Columbia, Canada 14
Year grown: 2014
- The information on the web about black habanero peppers is a confusing. You can find pictures of both long-podded and more rounded Black Habanero peppers. It is possible that there are two kinds known under the same simple name.
- Some references state that Black Habanero is an alternative name often used to describe the dark brown variety of habanero chilis like Chocolate Habanero (see ). It is said to be hotter than more common Red Habanero.
- According to Jim Duffy of Refining Fire Chiles , a long-podded Black Habanero pepper is a stabilized cross of a long Chocolate Habanero and Clavo peppers. It was developed in the early 2000s by a European chili grower. This particular cultivar has a milder heat compared to other habanero varieties.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T).Black Habanero - ripe fruit. 2014-08-30.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black Habanero - ripe fruit. 2014-09-20.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2015||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new