|Variety type||commercial heirloom|
- Indet., regular leaf, large pink slightly ribbed beefsteaks, some with radial cracking at the top. 10-16 oz. Very good flavor. (limited, 15 seeds / packet))
- 1. David Lemasters, Pennsylvania 09
- 2. Robert Hoser, Wolfratshausen, Germany 11 (wrong seeds, red beefsteak)
Year grown: 2012
- 85 days, indet., regular leaf, good yield of 1 lb pink beefsteak fruit, very good flavor.
- Gary Staley of Brandon, Florida (FL ST G) 05 / Raymond Mielke of Milwaukee, Wisconsin (WI MI R2)
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- First offered commercially in 1976 by Big Tomato Gardens, Syracuse, Ohio, owned by Benjamin Franklin Quisenberry (1887-1986). In the early 80s Ben Quisenberry also offered this variety in a "Three Large Pinks" mixture package, along with Mortgage Lifter and Brandywine.
- Ben Quisenberry said to have received the seed from his friend, Bob Dyke of Boonesboro, Kentucky, in 1967. Tomato gardeners who received this variety from Ben Quisenberry reported regular leaf plants (see ).
- According to Amy Goldman, the Bob Dyke's seed was labelled Stump of the World, and Ben Quisenberry, who did not like the name, renamed it to Big Ben. If this story is true, and if the original Big Ben tomato was regular leaf then the question arises about the leaf type of Stump of the World, which is known today as a potato leaf variety.
- Gary Staley of Brandon, Florida, from whom Neil Lockhart received the seeds, in his SSE listing, specifically states that this is a "true Big Ben" tomato, which came from Ben Quisenberry's collection, and it is described as regular leaf.
- There are also a few variations or strain available at SSE:
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Big Ben (#1) - plant. 2012-06-28.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Big Ben (#1) - flower buds. 2012-06-28.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Big Ben - ripe fruit. 2012-09-29.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Big Ben - sliced fruit. 2012-09-21.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Big Ben - sliced fruit. 2012-09-29.
|Fruit color||pink +|
|Fruit shape||beefsteak +|
|Fruit size||large +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T + and IL LO N +|
|See also||Big Ben Red +, Big Ben No.1 + and Big Ben No.2 +|
|Variety type||commercial heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +|