|Fruit shape||oblate, beefsteak|
- indet., regular leaf, large pink beefsteak fruit with excellent taste.
Year grown: 2005(1,2), 2008(1,2), 2011(3)
- Heirloom from 1930s, said to be developed by a radiator repairman and a gardener in West Virginia, "Radiator Charlie" Byles, who crossed the 4 biggest varieties he knew, and created a variety that produced immense, tasty fruit. He paid off his mortgage by selling fruits (or seedlings, as some sources indicate).
- The parents are German Johnson, Beefsteak (a.k.a. Red Ponderosa, or Crimson Cushion), and some unknown English and Italian varieties.
- Mortgage Lifter Bicolor,
- Mortgage Lifter, Radiator Charlie's,
- Mortgage Lifter, Red,
- Mortgage Lifter, Estler's,
- Mortgage Lifter, Mullen's,
- Mortgage Lifter, Halladay's,
- Charlie's Pride and Joy,
- Mortgage Lifter, Quisenberry's,
- Mortgage Lifter, Carter's,
- Mortgage Lifter, Pesta,
- Mortgage Lifter, Cartwright's,
- Red and Yellow Mortgage Lifter,
- Mortgage Lifter, Yellow,
- Mortgage Lifter, Watson's,
- Mortgage Lifter, O'Driscoll's,
- Mortgage Lifter, German,
- Mortgage Lifter, McGarity's
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Mortgage Lifter (Ter)- ripe fruit. 2008-10-02.
Reed Baize, Oklahoma (OK BA R2). Mortgage Lifter - sliced fruit. 2014.
You can buy Mortgage Lifter seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!