Black Prince X Cherokee Purple
From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
(Redirected from Black Prince X Cherokee Purple F1)
|Black Prince X Cherokee Purple|
|Fruit shape||oblate, globe|
|Variety type||unstable segregation line, hybrid|
B.C KO T
- F1 generation - compact indet., regular leaf plant with round dark black/brown fruits, 3-6 oz, beautiful, blemish free, some radial cracking in wet weather, juicy, very good taste. Fruit ripened quite late in the season, even though the plants were grown in pots in the sunny and warm location (deck).
- Tom Wagner, WA 07
Year grown: 2007
Location: Zone 7b, PNW, Anmore, BC, Canada (760 ft above sea level)
B.C SA D
- F2 generation, saved seed will be F3. Much later than I had hoped, (mid-October) but a nice productive plant once it got going and fairly healthy too. My taste test notes indicate smooth pleasant flavour on the sweet side with not a lot of juice. I did not use my ruler, but squares on table cover are 3/4 inch (see the ripe fruit picture below). Not a truly fair taste evaluation, as these were picked green and ripened indoors.
- I did not save seed from the catfaced fruit from plant 2, as I did not want to continue this line - Tom Wagner advised the catfacing would continue into future generations. Notice this is a red/black fruit - so yellow skin dominates over the pink/black of Cherokee Purple.
- B.C KO T 08 (Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T))
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
- F1, a cross of Black Prince and Cherokee Purple created by Tom Wagner of WA, a private tomato and potato breeder and founder of Tater Mater Seed.
- Denise Salmon of Vancouver, BC started to de-hybridize this variety in 2008.
- Tom Wagner continues to develop this line by backcrossing F2 with Black Prince and Cherokee Purple. Tom says that "...the way the anthers are curling away from the stigma is quite indicative of the larger fruit potential... These two backcrosses will allow me to pull out traits respectively regardless of the phenotype of the F-2 plant".
Denise Salmon (B.C SA D). Black Prince X Cherokee Purple F2 - seedling. 2008
Denise Salmon (B.C SA D). Black Prince X Cherokee Purple F2 - plant. 2008-07-09
Denise Salmon (B.C SA D). Black Prince X Cherokee Purple F2 - ripe fruit. 2008
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
Facts about Black Prince X Cherokee PurpleRDF feed
|Fruit color||black +|
|Fruit shape||oblate + and globe +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T + and B.C SA D +|
|Variety type||unstable segregation line + and hybrid +|