|Variety type||open-pollinated, heirloom|
- A.k.a. Schwarze Sarah. Indet., regular leaf, medium to large purple-black beefsteaks with darker shoulders, very good flavor, nice texture, no core. 6-12 oz.
- Kristien Dhoor, Belgium 06 / Reinhard Kraft, Neukirchen, Germany
Year grown: 2011
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf plant with a high yield of 8-14 oz purple-black fruit with green shoulders, very good flavor.
- WI MI B 01 (Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin) / NJ BR J 99 (Joe Bratka, New Jersey), from Joe Bratka's grandmother's sister in Germany.
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- 70-80 days, "Schwarze Sarah" in German, indet., sturdy 6' vines, good yield of 3-4" flattened globes, 8-12 oz, purple-black-maroon color with green shoulders with slight cracking on the top, excellent flavor, being possibly the best black-purple-maroon tomato, rich deep flavor, some sweetness and smokiness and extra complex flavors, German heirloom.
- Gerhard Bohl, Germany
Location: Drain, Oregon
- According to Joe Bratka of New Jersey, who was the originator of this variety, he obtained the seed from his grandmother's sister in Germany.
- There is a controversy around whether this tomato is a true heirloom or it was bred by Joe Bratka and misrepresented as a ‘heirloom’, perhaps to meet the consumer demand for heirloom tomato varieties at that time.
- First offered in the Seed Savers 2000 Yearbook by Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin, who got the seed from Joe Bratka in 1999 along with the 'heirloom' story.
Also known as
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Sara Black - seedling planted. 2011-05-23.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Sara Black - plant. 2011-07-09.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Schwarze Sarah - flowers. 2010.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Sara Black - baby. 2011-07-09.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Sara Black - ripe fruit. 2011-09-07.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Schwarze Sarah - sliced fruit. 2010.
|Country||USA, Germany +|
|Fruit color||black +|
|Fruit shape||globe +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T +, IL LO N + and OR ST A +|
|Variety type||open-pollinated + and heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, TomatoFest +, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds +, Delectation of Tomatoes +, Heritage Harvest Seed +, Knapp's Fresh Vegies +, Two Wings Farm +, Solana Seeds + and Gourmet Seed International +|