|Fruit shape||oblate, beefsteak|
|Variety type||commercial heirloom|
- Indet., regular leaf plants are loaded with medium to large size pink beefsteaks. 6-14 oz. Excellent sweet flavor. (15 seeds / packet)
- 1. CV McKenzie 05
- 2. CV D.T.Brown 07
Year grown: 2004(1), 2010, 2015(2)
- Introduced by Peter Henderson & Co. in 1891.
- PI 644770. Donated to USDA in 1961 by Burgess Seed and Plant Company.
- PI 644773. Donated to USDA in 1961 by Rudy-Patrick Seed Company.
- USDA narrative:
- "90 days, older late maturing, plants indeterminate, fruits very large, flat purplish-pink, somewhat rough, tendency to crack, mild flavor. Asgrow Catalog #19 1957, p.87."
- The description from Burpee 1914 Catalog says:
- "This variety as now grown by us, - while too much "ribbed" for market, - is so very solid and luscious that for your family gardens it is deserving of the Bull's Eye!Only equaled in size by Burpee's New Dwarf-Giant and of fine quality for slicing. The vines are of strong growth. The deep purple fruits are oblong in form, generally ridged or ribbed. They are solidly fleshy with small seed-cells; of extra sweet flavor. Planted in good soil, fruits frequently attain a weight of one pound or more. We offer a selected strain of our own growing that produces tomatoes smoother than usual and very meaty, - "solid as a rock."
Also known as
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Pink Ponderosa - green fruit. 2013-07-31.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Ponderosa - ripe. 2015-09-10.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Pink Ponderosa - ripe fruit. 2013-07-31.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Ponderosa - sliced. 2015-09-10.
You can buy Ponderosa Pink seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Also known as||Ponderosa +, Pink Ponderosa + and Henderson's Pink Ponderosa +|
|Description||Indet., regular leaf plants are loaded with medium to large size pink beefsteaks. 6-14 oz. Excellent sweet flavor. (15 seeds / packet)|
|Fruit color||pink +|
|Fruit shape||oblate + and beefsteak +|
|Fruit size||large +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|History||* Introduced by Peter Henderson & Co. in 1 … * Introduced by Peter Henderson & Co. in 1891.
|Member code||B.C KO T +|
|See also||Red Ponderosa + and Golden Ponderosa +|
|Seed source||1. CV McKenzie 05
|Variety type||commercial heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, Tomato Growers Supply +, TomatoFest +, Skyfire Garden Seeds +, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds +, Totally Tomatoes +, Heirloom Seeds +, Delectation of Tomatoes +, Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds +, Knapp's Fresh Vegies + and Territorial Seed Company +|
|Year grown||2004(1) +, 2010 + and 2015(2) +|