|Fruit shape||round, oblate|
|Variety type||open-pollinated, commercial heirloom|
- Indet., regular leaf. Round and oblate red fruits with smooth shoulders, 5-10 oz. Jointless. Very good rich flavor.
- Dave Thompson, New Baltimore, Southeast Michigan 09
Year grown: 2015
- Old commercial heirloom.
- Developed by the Experimental Agricultural College of Pennsylvania, from a cross between Red Dwarf Early and Marglobe. Released in 1944.
- First offered in the Seed Savers 2005 Yearbook by Neil Gillard of Holland Landing, Ontario, Canada (ONT GI N), who obtained the seed from Plant Gene Resources of Canada, CN 599.
- Re-introduced commercially by Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds in 2016.
Also known as
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Penn Red - ripe fruit. 2015-08-22.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Penn Red - sliced fruit. 2015-08-22.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
You can buy Penn Red seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Also known as||Stemless Penn Red +|
|Description||Indet., regular leaf. Round and oblate red fruits with smooth shoulders, 5-10 oz. Jointless. Very good rich flavor.|
|Fruit color||red +|
|Fruit shape||round + and oblate +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|History||* Old commercial heirloom.
|Member code||B.C KO T +|
|Related||Marglobe + and Red Dwarf Early +|
|See also||Stemless Penn Orange +|
|Seed source||Dave Thompson, New Baltimore, Southeast Michigan 09|
|Variety type||open-pollinated + and commercial heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +|
|Year grown||2015 +|