Green Zebra x Black Cherry
From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
- indet., regular leaf, F1 produced small brown fruits early-mid season maturity of very poor flavor
- Keith Mueller
- 2004 and further generations
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Segregating lines produced two variations in shape - round and slightly oblong. Some lines were slow to germinate (mostly the red ones). There were a few segregates that produced squat plant habits (not dwarf or determinate though). All were very productive. The green fruit with clear skin produce larger fruit but less number than other lines.
- F1 produced a round 3 oz fruit. Exterior color was brown with a red and green internal center. Taste was very bad. It has been my repeated observation that Green Zebra makes a poor recombinant parent if going for flavor.
- F2 produced variations of greens and reds with and without striping. A few fruit lines were taller than wide. Flavor improved over hybrid, usually tart was most notable attribute. All lines were very productive. Some were slow to germinate.
- F3 produced green fruit with clear skin and stripes. Others greens were used in crosses (for productivity). Still some weak germination in lines.
- F4 only the green with clear skin and stripes was pursued. Better germination this generation
- F5 slow to germinate again. Plant growth was slow until put into sun and warm.