Fred's Tie Dye
|Fred's Tie Dye|
|Growth habit||dwarf, indet.|
|Leaf type||regular, rugose|
|Fruit color||black, purple, striped|
|Variety type||created heirloom, stabilized intentional cross|
- NEW 2015 Dwarf Tomato Project Release. Indeterminate dwarf ('tree-type') plants with rugose regular leaf foliage produce medium sized round purple tomatoes with jagged gold and green stripes and the deep crimson flesh of black tomatoes. 5-6 oz. Rich, intense, and balanced flavor, more acidic than sweet. (12 seeds / packet)
- Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin (WI MI B) / Tomato Dwarf Project
Year grown: 2014*, 2015
- 75 days. The vigorous dwarf regular leaf plants are among the taller growing of the dwarfs. Producing a good yield of medium to medium sized (5-6 ounce average) round purple tomatoes with jagged gold and green stripes and the deep crimson flesh of black tomatoes, Fred’s Tie Dye has a rich, intense, balanced flavor.
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
- Developed by the members of the Dwarf Tomato Project from a cross between Dwarf Wild Fred and Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye made by Vince Lavallo and named Messy. It was selected and named by Vince.
- Stabilization was the collaborative work of Vince Lavallo, Lyne Rancourt, Ted Maiden, Lisa Moore, Richard Watson, Gina McDermott, Bill Yoder, Simone Pennig, Scott Stough, Donna Marie Kudrak, Marsha Eisenberg, Antoniette Koshykar, and Craig LeHoullier.
- The starting seed sample was grown out and supplied by Bill Minkey of Darien, Wisconsin (WI MI B) in 2014.
- Introduced commercially by Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds and The Sample Seed Shop in 2015.
- More information about the development of this cultivar can be found on the Dwarf Tomato Project website.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Fred's Tie Dye - ripe fruit. 2015-08-14.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Fred's Tie Dye - sliced fruit. 2015-08-14.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds||.||.|
|2015||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new
The Sample Seed Shop - new
You can buy Fred's Tie Dye seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!