From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
|Fruit type||slicer, canner|
|Variety type||open-pollinated, commercial heirloom|
- Indet., regular leaf plant with medium red beefsteak fruits, meaty, good old time flavor.
Year grown: 2010
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf plant with a good yield of 0.5 lb fruit with good flavor.
- WI NE J 01 (Jeff Nekola of Green Bay, Wisconsin) / NY MA C 97 (Carolyn Male of Salem, New York)
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- According to Amy Goldman, this tomato was developed by Richard Diener of Kentfield, California from a cross of San Jose Canner and Trophy, and released in 1917.
- Carolyn Male of Salem, New York, who introduced this variety in the SSE 1996 Yearbook, describes it as " 75 days - NSL 27497, this was bred from Santa Clara Canner (see desc.) and has the same oblate, thick walled tomatoes but it is a deeper crimson, I do like the taste... excellent. O.S. NY MA C 96".
- Amy Goldman describes the taste of this tomato as "poor, low acid and low sugar", which does not agree with Carolyn Male's description. You will have to grow it and judge for yourself.
- NSL 27497, donated to USDA in 1974 from Wyoming, USA.
- According to the MI State Bulletin (1930s): "Diener is a late variety with large, flattened very rough red fruit. It was introduced by Richard Diener in 1917. It appears to be a selection of the old rough canning tomato used in central California before the development of Santa Clara Canner, but stocks we have observed show little, if any, improvement over the old type."
Related or similar
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Diener - flowers. 2010-08-01.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Diener - green fruit. 2010-08-01.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2014||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds
|2013||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds
|2012||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds||.||.|
|2011||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new
Facts about Diener
|Fruit color||red +|
|Fruit shape||oblate +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer + and canner +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T + and IL LO N +|
|Variety type||open-pollinated + and commercial heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, TomatoFest + and Heirloom Tomatoes +|