Black from Tula
|Black from Tula|
|Variety type||family heirloom|
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf, good yield of 8-12 oz purple-black fruits with irregular shape, green shoulders, very good flavor.
- Seed Source
- 1. Reimer Seeds
- 2. Peter Gallant, Prince Edward Island, Canada 05
- 3. Carolyn Male, Salem, New York 11 (1997 seeds)
- 4. Seed Savers Exchange 11
- 5. Darrel Jones, Hamilton, Alabama 12 / Chuck Wyatt, Maryland 02
- 6. CV Snow Seed 12
- 7. Ann Gillis-Furlano, Ontario, Canada (ONT GI A) 05
|2005, 2007, 2011 (#4, #3 - crop failure, 0% germination))}}
- 80 days, det., regular leaf plant with 12 oz brownish red fruit, good taste, fair yield, SSE TOMATO 2911.
- Reimer Seeds / Seed Savers Heritage Farm, Decorah, Iowa (IA SSE HF) 96 / Marina Danilenko, Russia (RUSS DA M)
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- An old heirloom that originated in the Ukraine many years ago. The 10-12 ounce oblate fruit are dark reddish black with green shoulders and have a very rich taste. The gel capsules inside the tomato are green. One of the best “black” tomatoes available. They add color to salads and make delicious tomato sandwiches. One of my favorites! Indeterminate, regular leaf foliage. (80 days from transplant).
Location: Carman, Manitoba, Canada
- 75-80 days, indet., regular leaf plant with average to high yield of 8-16 oz purple-black fruits with very good to excellent taste.
- Reimer Seeds
Year: been growing this variety on and off since 2002.
Location: Bastrop, Texas
- 87 days, indeterminate, regular leaf. Small yield this year, unfortunately this plant got burnt very badly during transplant and needed a lot of time to recoup. Started really taking off just as it started to get too cold. Fruit approx. 7-10oz. Very dark purple/brown/black, excellent flavour. Very meaty, delicious.
- Reimer Seeds / Meighan, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Location: Nelson, BC, Canada.
- Ukrainian family heirloom (although the name implies that it could have originated from Tula, Russia). This variety was imported from Russia (Marina Danilenko) by Seed Savers Exchange and offered in the SSE 1996 Yearbook. Here is the original description offered by SSE:
- "76 days - plants to 4' with 3" flattish dark brown fruits, green shoulders persist, O.S. RUSS DA M, SSE TOMATO 2911."
- SSE TOMATO 2911.
- First offered commercially by Seed Savers Exchange in 1998 as part of the 'Russian Collection'.
- One of the 100 heirloom tomatoes mentioned in Carolyn J. Male's book "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden".
Sherry Shiesl, Alaska. Black from Tula - plant. 2011.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black from Tula - plant. 2012-08-06.
Olena Tsygankova, Alberta. Black from Tula - plant. 2012-09-10.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black from Tula - plant with flowers. 2012-08-06.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black from Tula - baby fruit. 2012-08-06.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Black from Tula - baby fruit. 2012-08-04.
Olena Tsygankova, Alberta. Black from Tula - green fruit. 2012-09-10.
Sherry Shiesl, Alaska. Black from Tula - ripe fruit. 2011.
Kelly Gilliam: Black From Tula, Sept 2009, Kelly Gilliam.
Olena Tsygankova, Alberta. Black from Tula - ripe fruit. 2012-09-29.
Susan Anderson (TX AN S): Black from Tula - sliced.
You can buy Black from Tula seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!