|Fruit type||slicer, paste, cooking|
B.C KO T
- indet., large and vigorous regular leaf plant which produces many large heart-shaped pink fruits, sometimes with yellow shoulders. Fruits are meaty and have very few seeds, which is typical for a heart-shaped variety. The flavor is excellent and sweet. Fruits are 8-16 oz, but can grow up to 2 lbs.
- 1. John Seewald, New Jersey 07
- 2. MI FL J 08 (Jeff Fleming of Augusta, Michigan) / IL LO N (Neil Lockhart of Oblong, Illinois) / MI BY M 96 (Michael Byrne of Lawton, Michigan)
Year grown: 2009
Location: Zone 7b, PNW, Anmore, BC, Canada (760 ft above sea level)
MI FL J
- Large vines need caging or staking, 70 days, good production of large (mostly 12-16 oz but can be larger) dark pink fruit with outstandingly good flavor. The fruit are semi-heart-shaped and are often quite irregular, for instance several I harvested appeared to be fused together from closely-clustered smaller fruit.
- The seed for this variety had been sitting in my collection for many years, never quite making the cut for my “experiments to try” for each year, but in 2007 I decided to give it a go. Then I met someone at the SSE convention who, unprompted by me, noted this was one of his favorites! Soon thereafter I discovered why. Slankard’s was easily the best flavored variety of my garden in 2007 and one that I’ll probably grow every year. Highly and unhesitatingly recommended!
- IL LO N 97 (Neil Lockhart of Oblong, Illinois) / MI BY M 96 (Michael Byrne of Lawton, Michigan)
Location: Augusta, Michigan
IL LO N
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf plant with a high yield of pink, 1-1.5 lb, semi-heart shaped fruit with excellent flavor.
- MI BY M 96 (Michael Byrne of Lawton, Michigan)
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- Family heirloom, history unknown. The seed originated from Michael Byrne of Lawton, Michigan (MI BY M), who offered this variety in Seed Savers 1996 Yearbook. Michael described it as:
- "80 days - indet., vigorous, medium-large plants, large 1-1.5 lb fruits that have fantastic "old time" flavor similar to Brandywine, few seeds, very little juice, moderately susceptible to early blight, prone to early season cracking which disappears later in the season, our favorite tomato, family heirloom, O.S. MI BY M."
- No commercial sources noted for 2004 in the Garden Seed Inventory 6th edition, but several listed members offer it through the SSE Yearbook. Listed in 'Red' section in 1996 Yearbook, and later moved to 'Pink' section.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (John Seewald) - plant. 2009-06-06.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (MI FL J) - flower truss. 2009-06-13.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (MI FL J) - baby fruit. 2009-06-13.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (John Seewald) - baby fruit. 2009-06-27.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (MI FL J) - green fruit. 2009-06-27.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (MI FL J) - ripe fruit. 2009-08-10.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (John Seewald) - ripe fruit. 2009-08-22.
Jeff Fleming (MI FL J). Slankard's. 2007
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Slankard's (MI FL J) - sliced fruit. 2009-08-10.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2013||Delectation of Tomatoes - new||.||.|
|2012||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - sold out for 2012||.||.|
|2011||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds||.||.|
|2010||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||7 + 1 (as Slankard's Pxheart)||.|
|Fruit color||pink +|
|Fruit shape||heart +|
|Fruit size||large +|
|Fruit type||slicer +, paste + and cooking +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T +, MI FL J + and IL LO N +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds + and Delectation of Tomatoes +|