|Fruit color||black, purple|
|Fruit type||salad, canner|
- Indet. plants with regular leaf foliage. Purple/black fruits are 6-8 oz, with some greenish shoulders, are quite juicy. Very good flavor, a bit milder than Cherokee Purple.
- 1. Barbara Morgenroth, NY 06 / Andrey Baranovski of Minsk, Belarus (BELR BA A) (germination failure)
- 2. Frank Combesque, France 10 / Hahm-Hartmann, Germany
Year grown: 2014
- 70-80 days, indet., regular leaf, 4-6 oz black fruit. Vigorous and productive 6 ft+ plants. Smokey tomato flavour, more acid than sweet, good saucer. 18 lbs/plant.
Year grown: 2006
Location: Wynndel, BC, Canada
- Black tomato, regular leaf, indet.
- 70-75 days, indeterminate, regular leaf. 4-6oz brown/black fruit with green shoulders. Very vigorous plant, absolutely delicious with an acidic earthy flavour. Great for sauce, really great producer, seems to thrive in heat. One of my biggest new surprises this year. Will definitely be a staple in the garden from now on. Benefits from really heavy staking. Didn't crack too much, and even then only minor cracks. Seems to turn more brown with the more sun it gets.
- Dan and Val McMurray of Wynndel, British Columbia, Canada (B.C MC D)
Year grown: 2009
Location: Nelson, BC, Canada
- Russian commercial variety, introduced to North America by Andrey Baranovski, Minsk Belarus in the early 2000s under its translated name, Gypsy.
Also known as
Russian name: Цыган
- The name means "Gypsy" in Russian, hence the translated name of this tomato.
Description in Russian
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - plant. 2014-06-19.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - flower and baby fruit. 2014-06-19.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - baby fruit. 2014-06-19.
Kelly G.. Tsygan ripening on the vine. August, 2009.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - ripe fruit. 2014-08-17.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - ripe fruit. 2014-08-29.
Dan and Val McMurray (B.C MC D): Tsygan. 2006.
Kelly G.. Tsygan, October 2009.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - sliced fruit. 2014-08-17.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Tsygan - sliced fruit. 2014-08-29.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2015||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2011||Marianna's Heirloom Seeds - new
|2009||Solana Seeds (as Zigan)||2||.|
|2008||Solana Seeds (as Zigan)||1||.|
|2007||Solana Seeds (as Zigan)||1||.|
You can buy Tsygan seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!