Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian
|Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian|
|Fruit type||canner, cooking|
|Variety type||family heirloom|
- indet., regular leaf, relatively compact but vigorous and bushy plants, good yield of medium red oblate fruits, 4-6 oz. Bright crimson red flesh. Very good balanced and strong flavor. Excellent for canning because of its firm flesh, thick gel, perfect size, and no blemishes. Keeps very well a couple of weeks after picking ripe.
- Patty Brown, Ohio 06 / Lyuda Battin, Texas / Ukraine
Year grown: 2011
- Large vines need caging or staking, 70 days, medium sized (6-10 oz) round red fruit, average productivity and flavor for me. I suspect that this variety is capable of better results (larger fruit, better productivity) than I obtained from a crowded plant competing with other plants for water.
- NC LE C (seed from a fruit from a plant sent to Craig LeHoullier by Darrel Jones)
Location: Augusta, Michigan
- A family heirloom from Ukraine, seeds sent to Patty Brown of Ohio by Lyuda Battin in Texas, whose mom lived in Ukraine and always grew this tomato. It was named by Patty; the original name is not known. Patty sent seeds to some Tomatoville members in 2004-2006.
- First introduced in Seed Savers 2007 Yearbook by Jeff Fleming of Augusta, Michigan (MI FL J).
- Some growers reported this tomato to be determinate.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - plant. 2011-08-21.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - flowers. 2011-08-21.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - baby fruit. 2011-07-09.
Olena Tsygankova, Alberta. Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - green fruit. 2012-09-10.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - ripe fruit. 2011-09-24.
Patty Brown, Ohio. Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - ripe fruit. August 4, 2011. Posted with the owner's permission.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - ripe fruit. 2011-09-05.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian - sliced fruit. 2011-09-12.
Jeff Fleming (MI FL J). Lyuda's Mom's Large Red Ukrainian. 2006
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2013||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - sold out for 2013
Sand Hill Preservation Center
|2012||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
|2011||Sand Hill Preservation Center - not available in 2011||1||0|
|2009||Sand Hill Preservation Center - new||1||.|
|Fruit color||red +|
|Fruit shape||round +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||canner + and cooking +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T + and MI FL J +|
|Variety type||family heirloom +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds + and Sand Hill Preservation Center +|