Earl of Edgecombe
|Earl of Edgecombe|
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf, dwarf growing habit, with one main stem and light green somewhat rugose-looking foliage. Fruit size, shape, color and texture is exactly as described in Carolyn Male's book "100 Heirloom tomatoes for the American Garden" - oblate deep orange color, with dark green shoulders on un-ripe fruits. Fruits are medium size. The taste is excellent, well balanced, not too sweet and not too tart, just right. 4-6 fruits per cluster.
- Plants and fruits grown from both seed sources grew identical. I assumed that Ted Amano originally obtained his seed from Jennifer Hutson, as she loves sharing the seeds with her fellow canucks. Ted did not respond to my inquiry about the seed source.
- 1. ONT HU J 05 (Jennifer Hutson, Ontario, BC, Canada) / Glenn Parker, New Zealand
- 2. Ted Amano, Ontario, Canada 05 / ONT HU J (Jennifer Hutson, Ontario, BC, Canada) / Glenn Parker, New Zealand
Year grown: 2005, 2008
- 80 days, indet., regular leaf, beautiful 6-12 oz orange globes, very good flavor, productive.
Location: Pasadena, Texas
- Manfred Hahm-Hartmann
Year: 2011, 2012
Location: Quitzdorf am See, Germany
- Beautiful orange globes, 6-12 oz, indet., regular leaf, 75 days.
- Geza Korbely, Hungary 08
Year: 2010, 2011
Location: LaFollette, Tennessee, USA
- New Zealand family heirloom. The story says that when the 6th Earl of Edgecombe died in the 1960's, the heir to the title of 7th Earl was a relative in New Zealand who was a sheep farmer at the time. When he traveled to England to claim the title, he brought this tomato with him and gave the seed to the Henry Doubleday Foundation.
- First introduced to SSE by Carolyn Male of NY in 1997, who obtained the seed from her friend and a SSE member, Ulrike Paradine of Kent, U.K. (ENGL PA U) in 1996, grew it out and declared it to be the best in her 1996 trials. Ulrike Paradine was a member of the Henry Doubleday Foundation at that time and obtained the original seed from there.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Earl of Edgecombe (Ted Amano). 2008-06-25.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Earl of Edgecombe (ONT HU J). 2008-06-25.
Ted Maiden (TN MA T): Earl of Edgecombe - Ripe fruit. 2011.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Earl of Edgecombe - ripe fruit. 2008-09-14.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Earl of Edgecombe - sliced fruit. 2008-09-14.
Ted Maiden (TN MA T): Earl of Edgecombe - sliced fruit. 2011.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Earl of Edgecombe - sliced fruit. 2012.
|Fruit color||orange +|
|Fruit shape||globe +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||B.C KO T +, TX GU R +, GERM SC K + and TN MA T +|
|Vendor||TomatoFest +, Sand Hill Preservation Center +, Skyfire Garden Seeds +, Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +, Heirloom Tomatoes +, Solana Seeds +, Delectation of Tomatoes +, Knapp's Fresh Vegies + and Two Wings Farm +|