Coastal Pride Orange
|Coastal Pride Orange|
|Growth habit||indet., dwarf|
|Leaf type||regular, rugose|
|Fruit shape||round, elongated|
|Fruit type||canner, slicer|
- Julien Schmit, Nancy, France 10 / Theodore Corbett of Reichenbach-Steegen, Germany (GERM CO T) 08
- 2. Denise Salmon, Vancouver, BC, Canada 15 / Dan and Val McMurray of Wynndel, British Columbia, Canada (B.C MC D) 07
Year grown: 2018
- Coastal Pride Orange, bred by Dan McMurray (1943-2012), is hands down the best tasting dwarf I have ever grown. They are perfect texture, buttery smooth when fully ripe, and the balance of sweetness, tartness, and bold tomato flavor make them perfect for any recipe, cooked or fresh. Some make the mistake of eating them before they are fully ripe, but after they turn the deepest persimmon orange they will climax in beauty and flavor. For a dwarf, the plants are large, getting over 2 feet in height. If any dwarf was suitable for in ground planting, this would be the one. The regular rugose leaves are fixed to stems that need no staking, easily an inch thick. Most fruits are in between saladette and slicer in size.
Year grown: 2013
Location: Zone 5b, near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA (1000 feet above sea level)
- 70-80 days, indet., rugose foliage, orange round fruit, 4-8 oz, as delicious as it is pretty, plant will not exceed 30" in hot weather. Sweet, fruity, tomatoey taste. Blemish free fruit, regardless of weather.
- unknown hybrid
Year grown: 2007
Location: Wynndel, BC, Canada
- The Coastal series all originated from two hybrids (name unknown) that Val and Dan McMurray of Wynndel, BC, Canada grew while they lived on the lightstations (hence the "Coastal" designation). Stabilized over several years and released by Dan and Val McMurray in 2007.
- Coastal Pride Red,
- Coastal Dandy,
- Coastal Redball,
- Coastal Valley,
- Coastal Valley Potato Leaf,
- Coastal Yellow Egg
Dan and Val McMurray. Coastal Pride Orange - plant. 2008. Uploaded with owner's permission.
Dan and Val McMurray (B.C MC D). Coastal Pride Orange. 2007. Uploaded with owner's permission.
Dan and Val McMurray. Coastal Pride Orange - ripe fruit. 2008. Uploaded with owner's permission.
Dan and Val McMurray (B.C MC D). Coastal Pride Orange, sliced. 2007
Phil Seneca, Good Mind Seeds. Coastal Pride Orange - sliced fruit.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
Good Mind Seeds
|2013||Good Mind Seeds - new
Knapp's Fresh Vegies
|2011||Gleckler Seedmen - new||0||0|
|Fruit color||orange +|
|Fruit shape||round + and elongated +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||canner + and slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. + and dwarf +|
|History||* The Coastal series all originated from t … * The Coastal series all originated from two hybrids (name unknown) that Val and Dan McMurray of Wynndel, BC, Canada grew while they lived on the lightstations (hence the "Coastal" designation). Stabilized over several years and released by Dan and Val McMurray in 2007. released by Dan and Val McMurray in 2007.|
|Leaf||regular + and rugose +|
|Member code||B.C KO T +, PA SE P + and B.C MC D +|
|See also||Coastal Pride Red +, Coastal Dandy +, Coastal Redball +, Coastal Valley +, Coastal Valley Potato Leaf + and Coastal Yellow Egg +|
|Seed source||Julien Schmit, Nancy, France 10 / Theodore Corbett of Reichenbach-Steegen, Germany (GERM CO T) 08
|Variety type||open-pollinated +|
|Vendor||Gleckler Seedmen +, Good Mind Seeds + and Knapp's Fresh Vegies +|
|Year grown||2018 +|