Yellow Pear brachytic
From Tatiana's TOMATOBase
- Specialized dwarf form of Yellow Pear. Regular leafed plants. (65-75 days). Plant habit is a prostrate form which generally makes a plant less than 1m in diameter. Fruits look and taste like regular Yellow Pear.
- Well suited for space saving gardens, containers, ground culture, limited ability gardeners and/or hanging baskets.
- The brachytic gene (br) is different in form and associated traits from other dwarfs (d) gene. Internodes are shortened resulting in low stature and compact growth habit; by the third-leaf stage, br plants are only half as tall as normal; differs from dwarf (d) in having normal-colored, nonrugose foliage, and normal instead of sessile and compact leaf segments.
- Breeder. Randy Gardner, NCSU Plant Breeding program
- Mountain Horticultural Crops Research and Extension Center, Fletcher, NC
- TGRC link to brachytic info and links to other lines with this trait
- External link comparing br seedling to normal
- One of the brachytic lines developed by Dr Gardner in the 1990's at NCSU. 'Smarty F1' is one line that is brachytic and released by this program.
- A fews seeds have been sent out in trade and through the Tomatomania seed collection otherwise rare and not out in the trade, USDA or SSE.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|