- large vines need caging or staking, moderate to good production of large (usually 12-16 oz but sometimes larger) oblate pink fruit, deliciously rich sweet flavor. Sometimes produces misshapen fruit, and some cracking is observed from wet weather at harvest time. While some (Carolyn J. Male's book "100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden") have described this as having a mildly sweet flavor, I find it to be not mild but very flavorful and consider it one of my favorites, comparable to (perhaps better than) Brandywine, and is a more reliable producer than Brandywine for me.
- Seed Savers Exchange
Year: 1995, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006
Location: Augusta, Michigan
- 85 days, indet., potato leaf foliage, 6 oz to 1 lb fruit, excellent taste, good yield, excellent tomato.
- MO WA C 95 (Calvin E. Wait, Ethel, Missouri) / NY MA C (Carolyn Male, Latham, New York) / OK ST F 92 / WI EA T 85
Location: Oblong, Illinois
- 85 days, indet., potato leaf, 1-2 lb, excellent taste, productive, a favorite.
Location: Pasadena, Texas
Year grown: 2008 (crop failure - 0% germination)
- pink beefsteak, good taste
- Manfred Hahm-Hartmann
Location: Quitzdorf am See, Germany
- Heirloom variety from the Mennonites.
- Introduced to SSE by Thane H. Earle of Whitewater, Wisconsin (WI EA T) in 1985.
- Sixteen commercial sources were noted for 2004 in the Garden Seed Inventory 6th edition.
Klaus-Peter Schurz (GERM SC K). Tiffen Mennonite - baby fruit. June 11, 2011.
Jeff Fleming (MI FL J). Tiffen Mennonite. 2006
|Fruit color||pink +|
|Fruit shape||beefsteak +|
|Fruit size||large +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|Member||MI FL J +, IL LO N +, TX GU R +, B.C KO T + and GERM SC K +|
|Vendor||Sand Hill Preservation Center +, Skyfire Garden Seeds +, Tomato Growers Supply +, Heirloom Seeds +, Heirloom Tomatoes +, Delectation of Tomatoes +, Fedco Seeds +, Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds + and Territorial Seed Company +|