|Fruit type||canner, slicer|
|Variety type||commercial heirloom|
- 75 days, indet., regular leaf, bright red firm round fruit, 6-8 oz, heavy yields, very good 'old-fashioned' tomato flavor. Good shelf life. Very good market tomato.
- 1. CV JL Hudson 02
- 2. Heirloom Seeds 05
Year grown: 2008 (1, crop failure), 2009(2)
- Developed at the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, from a cross between Marglobe and J.T.D. (an old New Jersey variety from the Campbell Soup Co.).
- It was first released in 1928 and then again in 1943 (as Rutgers Improved). The 1928 release was indeterminate, and the 1943 release is basically what we have today.
- 1958 Gleckler Catalog description:
- "RUTGERS (Indiana Strain) (72 Days)
- A superior strain of Rutgers, re-selected and supervised at Purdue University. Slightly earlier and much more productive than the original 290 strain as it came from New jersey. Fruit quality and color like-wise are greatly improved. Fruits are smooth, slightly flattened at the stem-end, deep red color ripening from the interior outward. Thick walls, small seed cavities with very few seeds from very solid fruits. Plants are large, thick stems with dense foliage protecting fruits from sunburn. To get maximum yield from Rutgers, soil must not be over supplied with nitrogen. A heavy application of phosphate is recommended to insure early ripening and ...? the entire harvest."
- Rutgers Improved,
- Rutgers Select,
- Rutgers F,
- Rutgers VF,
- Rutgers 39 VF,
- Rutgers Ps-r,
- Rutgers California Supreme,
- Rutgers (Original Strain),
- Rutgers Yellow,
- Rutgers Space Select
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Rutgers - flowers. 2008-07-18.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Rutgers - flower. 2008-07-27.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Rutgers - baby fruit. 2008-07-27.