|Variety type||heirloom, open-pollinated|
- Indet., regular leaf. Red round and oblate fruits, 3-11 oz. Excellent traditional tomato flavor.
- Dave Thompson, New Baltimore, Southeast Michigan 09
Year grown: 2015
- Unfortunately there are many tomatoes called 'Rinon' in the USDA database, which came from different countries: Cuba, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala. They may or may not be the same tomato.
- #1 -PI 98097. Donated to the USDA in 1932 from Cuba. "A rather small or medium-sized tomato, much flattened, oblately rounded or curved towards the stem and wrinkled. Prof. Jack believes this is simply a degenerate form of the improved cultivated tomato which has become established as a wild plant in Cuba. It is said, however, to withstand very trying conditions and to grow luxuriantly at times when all other tomatoes fail."
- #2, 3, 4, 5 - PI 365900, PI 390490, PI 390488, PI 390489. Donated to the USDA in 1971, 1974, 1975 from Ecuador. "Fruit flat, many celled, 4.5 cm by 7.5 cm., dark purplish red. Local name Rinon. "
- #6, 7 - PI 390401, PI 390400. Donated to the USDA from Colombia in 1974. "Fruit 6.5 to 10 cm in diameter, flat, 7 to 10 cells, 4 to 4.5 cm thick. Local name Tomate Rinon."
- #8 - PI 209976. Collected by Victor Patino, Chulumani in Bolivia in 1953.
- #9 - PI 118783. Donated to the USDA in 1936 from Venezuela.
- #10 - PI 438868. Donated to the USDA in 1979 from Mexico. "Fruit flattened, many carpels, to 10cm diameter. "
- #11 - PI 406968. Collected in 1976 from Nicaragua. "Fruit said to be considerably flattened and kidney shaped. Seed purchased in village. "
- #12 - PI 128177. Collected in 1938 in Huehuetenango, Guatemala.
- Rare and endangered.
- Introduced commercially by Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds in 2016.
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Rinon - sliced fruit. 2015-08-19.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
|2016||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds - new||.||.|
You can buy Rinon seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|Country||Mexico, Cuba +|
|Description||Indet., regular leaf. Red round and oblate fruits, 3-11 oz. Excellent traditional tomato flavor.|
|Fruit color||red +|
|Fruit shape||round +|
|Fruit size||medium +|
|Fruit type||slicer +|
|Growth habit||indet. +|
|History||* Unfortunately there are many tomatoes ca … * Unfortunately there are many tomatoes called 'Rinon' in the USDA database, which came from different countries: Cuba, Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela, Mexico, Nicaragua, Guatemala. They may or may not be the same tomato.
|Member code||B.C KO T +|
|Seed source||Dave Thompson, New Baltimore, Southeast Michigan 09|
|Variety type||heirloom + and open-pollinated +|
|Vendor||Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds +|
|Year grown||2015 +|