NuMex Orange Suave
|NuMex Orange Suave|
|Heat level||very mild|
|Scoville Heat Units (SHU)||0-500|
- Capsicum chinense. Very small slightly ribbed pepper that resembles Habanero, but has no heat. Matures from green to orange/light red. Very aromatic and flavorful. (15 seeds/packet)
- 1. CV Renee's Garden 08
- 2. Tomato Growers Supply 14
Year grown: 2009(1), 2013(2*)
- A mild Habanero chiles, developed by New Mexico State University, Chile Pepper Institute.
- Eric Votava, a senior research specialist and chile breeder at NMSU who did much of the field development, said the so-called Suaves have a citrusry flavor with an orange-lemony overtone.
- The university's chile breeding program received the chile pepper seeds from Houston chile aficionado Bill Adams, who liked their mild taste and forwarded the seed to NMSU's chile institute. Trials were conducted and the best of the lot was chosen for more selective testing.
- The name ‘Suave' comes from the Spanish for mellow or smooth, which describes the mild nature of these chile peppers.
Also known as
Tatiana Kouchnareva (B.C KO T). Orange Suave - plant. 2011-08-21.
|Year||Commercial Vendors||Seed Savers Yearbook (Member listings)||Seeds of Diversity (Member listings)|
You can buy NuMex Orange Suave seeds at Tatiana's TOMATObase Seed Shop.
By buying our seeds you help us to maintain and improve Tatiana's TOMATObase website, and to preserve many endangered open-pollinated varieties.
The proceeds from seed sales and donations are our only source of funding at this time.
Thank you so much for your support!
|AltName||Orange Suave +|
|Description||Capsicum chinense. Very small slightly ribbed pepper that resembles Habanero, but has no heat. Matures from green to orange/light red. Very aromatic and flavorful. (15 seeds/packet)|
|Heat level||very mild +|
|History||* A mild Habanero chiles, developed by New … * A mild Habanero chiles, developed by New Mexico State University, Chile Pepper Institute.
|Member code||B.C KO T +|
|Pepper Classification||C. chinense +|
|Pepper fruit color||orange +|
|Pepper fruit shape||pendant +|
|Pepper fruit size||small +|
|Scoville Heat Units (SHU)||0-500 +|
|See also||Red Suave + and NuMex Red Suave +|
|Seed source||1. CV Renee's Garden 08
|Variety type||open-pollinated +|
|Vendor||Tomato Growers Supply +|
|Year grown||2009(1) + and 2013(2*) +|